Why is a neuropsychological evaluation required?
Head trauma, stroke, encephalitis, multiple sclerosis, other suspected acquired or developmental conditions, and medications used for treatment, may produce cognitive deficits that would make and airman/airwoman unsafe to perform pilot duties.
What does the evaluation include?
The evaluation includes a clinical interview with Dr. McDonough which usually lasts 1-2 hours. This is followed by a separate appointment dedicated for testing. The testing process will be performed by a trained professional and will last approximately 5-7 hours. After testing is completed, Dr. McDonough will prepare a report outlining your test results and discuss them with you at a final appointment.
What tests are included in the evaluation?
Our testing battery meets all FAA requirements and includes:
- CogScreen-Aeromedical Edition
- Reitan Trails A & B
- Category Test
- Stroop Color-Word Test
- Paced Auditory Serial Addition Test (PASAT)
- Conners’ Continuous Performance Test – 3rd Edition
- Conners’ Auditory Test of Attention
- Wechsler Memory Scale – 4th Edition (WMS-IV)
- Boston Naming Test
- Verbal Fluency Test
- Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory – 2nd Edition (MMPI-2)
- Others as indicated
What does the report include?
- A review of all available records, including academic, medical, psychiatric, etc.
- A thorough clinical interview to include a detailed history regarding psychosocial or developmental problems; academic and employment performance; legal issues; substance use/abuse, aviation background and experience; medical conditions; all medication use and behavioral observations during the interview and testing.
- A mental status examination.
- Interpretation of a full battery of neuropsychological and psychological tests.
- An integrated summary of findings with a diagnostic statement, and Dr. McDonough’s opinion(s) and recommendation(s) regarding clinically or aeromedically significant findings.
If you have any additional questions regarding FAA evaluations with Dr. McDonough, please contact our office at (760) 944-9647.